Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The fragrant of delicious food

... is so addictive and infectious.

roast chicken with herb tomato sauce

I love food. I love to eat and I love cooking. Yesterday, a couple friends and I attended a basic cooking class where I learned a few new tips in cooking, making stock, coulis, roasting, and several of those knife techniques. It was also great fun! Since last night, food has been on my mind.

chiffonading and mincing the night away

I prepared my lunches for the rest of the week. The brownie is smelling great from the oven tonight. I have been going through some recipes, planning ahead for next week's menu. This certainly doesn't help my own weight loss goals that I just started with a friend. The truth is I need to tone my muscles more than losing pounds, but I'm doing this to encourage my friend.

I am proud to call myself an "economical" and practical cook, not as making the fancy, chef-like, beautifully-plated dishes every time. But I am good at planning and executing a weekly menu that is balance, healthy, and delicious - yet doesn't take a long time to cook. Kind of like the Rachel Ray's 30 minute kind of meals.

What occurs to me tonight is that I have got a decent foundation, learning mostly from my mom. All those years watching her cook or playing the sous chef, definitely helped. I can maneuver the Vietnamese dishes pretty well. However, I haven't cooked a lot of those lately. It seems that as I have been expanding into other types of cuisines, American, Italian, French and others so much, I have forgotten to practice cooking my "mother-food". I decided that starting today (next week), I will alternate to include one Vietnamese dish to one other dish in my weekly menu.

Looking forward to documenting this new cooking adventure by pictures! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment